Hyperlinks

Voice your opinions on upgrades, additions, repairs, etc.

Hyperlinks

Postby McMurphy » May 21st, 2010, 3:44 pm

Is there any special code that can be typed into the url code to force it to open into a separate tab/window instead of navigating me away from the forum?
Patent #7,723,552 (Although it needs editing)
Proud originator of "scunt!"
"Plays Sundays"
McMurphy
Active Roster
Active Roster

Re: Hyperlinks

Postby BfloFan » May 21st, 2010, 5:33 pm

Yes...if you code it properly.
ex.: <a href="http://www.quackit.com/html/html_help.cfm" target="_blank">HTML Help</a>

The " target="_blank" triggers the new window.
BfloFan
Big Pun
Big Pun

Postby denisesballs » May 21st, 2010, 5:54 pm

BfloFan wrote:target="_blank"

That is actually not XHTML strict compliant. We could get around it by using javascript, but in general it's against web standards since it's forcing your browser to do something it really shouldn't. Think of it this way: if you click a link, you assume it's not going to open in a new tab/window. If you want it to, you can just middle-click it or right-click it and tell it to. If you FORCE it to open in a new window, you can't tell it not to open in a new window.

That being said I could still add it with the javascript thing, we had it before. I never re-installed it because I don't really like it but if you guys want it I can.
denisesballs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby McMurphy » May 21st, 2010, 7:19 pm

Is it either 100% same window or 100% new window or is it possible to have it determined by the way the [url][/url] code is typed up?
"Plays Sundays"
McMurphy
Active Roster
Active Roster

Postby denisesballs » May 21st, 2010, 7:22 pm

McMurphy wrote:Is it either 100% same window or 100% new window or is it possible to have it determined by the way the [url][/url] code is typed up?

I suppose I could make a separate BBcode for it, but why leave it in the poster's hand whether links open in a new window or now? I think it should be a site-wide default.
denisesballs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BfloFan » May 22nd, 2010, 12:01 am

denisesballs wrote:I suppose I could make a separate BBcode for it, but why leave it in the poster's hand whether links open in a new window or now? I think it should be a site-wide default.

I understand wanting to control the destination...while we haven't been flooded with undesirables (in this iteration) we did have scumbags signing up and posting unwanted content and links.

I think the right click option for the user to ok opening a 2nd browser is the way to go.
BfloFan
Big Pun
Big Pun

Postby McMurphy » May 22nd, 2010, 2:12 am

Could it be a user by user option, like the way the date is displayed or other options like that?
"Plays Sundays"
McMurphy
Active Roster
Active Roster

Postby denisesballs » May 24th, 2010, 2:35 pm

McMurphy wrote:Could it be a user by user option, like the way the date is displayed or other options like that?

It's possible, but I don't see a mod for it and that would take a while to write.
denisesballs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fan Feedback